Image Map

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Lincoln is so Stinkin' Cute

My students have loved reading these 2 emergent readers about Lincoln and Washington. They are right at their level and they feel so proud and successful. I have them in my TpT store for just a couple of dollars... no big deal. We read many different stories and compared and contrasted him to Martin Luther King. Their understandings were amazing.
We guided them through these drawings, first on a white board and talked about Lincoln's tall hat and how he stored important papers in it. They were fascinated by his ability to teach himself how to read and we also talked about how he persevered (our unit of study) and set goals for himself. Whew, that's a lot for a 5 year old to take in but they really loved hearing all the non fiction stories. I swear a 5 year old can make a connection to almost anything you throw at them! 
How adorable are these. We hung these in our window and it looks precious from the outside. Both classes are there and I love watching our students proudly show their parents which one they did. My administrator laughed so hard she almost choked! Try this with your kids.

So naturally our sight word practice was using Abraham Lincoln and this time we hid a penny behind one of the cards. My kids do not get tired of this activity and thought the penny was so much fun to find. This is a great way to build sight word fluency with young children. We chanted, "Abraham Lincoln was his name. He wanted men to be the same." Okay, don't judge. This was not my best...
The Ikea frames come in red, white and blue so I took advantage of this and did the teen numbers in ten frames for my students to practice and do with a partner. They adored this activity and it really keeps them engaged. They picked up the frame, brought it to their seat and each student counted and recorded their response after they both agreed on the answer. I love these frames and use them all the time! 

Where did that 4 day weekend go? I am preparing for a conference and trying to finish up my PowerPoint. I will tell you more about that later. Come back to find out who I am presenting with. She is such a superstar in the blogging world!
Have a great week friends.



5 comments:

We Teach Like A Rockstar said...

I just LOVE the hide the penny behind Lincoln game. I am going to pin this for next year! Enjoyed reading your post! Amber ~ Kindergarten Rocks Blog

Unknown said...

Hiding the penny behind Lincoln is priceless! What a cute idea for getting the kids involved! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas! Susie / Kindergarten with Susie Blog

Maryann said...

Hi Fran!
You continue to amaze me with the great activities you posted! WOW! Here's the next question (favor)-do you have the sight word game for Lincoln and the ten frame write the room" for sale? Oh, please,pretty please-say you do!!
Thanks,
Maryann
brennemm@carlisleschools.org

Meredith said...

Just satin' those emergent readers are always a huge hit with my kids. I love them so much and boy do they love saying, "Happy Birthday, Mr. Lincoln." ❤️

Fran Kramer said...

Maryann please send me your email address. It was so great to hear from you!