Image Map

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Have you met Chef Kramer?



If you have ever given a typical five year old cranberry sauce, most of them would turn up their nose at the thought of tasting it. However, if you make it in your classroom and have the kids help you (cannot screw this up) they think it is delicious. Add the ingredients and use a ridiculous voice. Be sure to sound like you are on the cooking channel and you will sustain their attention- I promise. Most of the children thought it was yummy. So,
don't try to figure them out. Presentation is everything! The following day you can make a flow map and retell this "how to". The coolest part is listening to the cranberries pop out of their skins. Try it. It is on the top of Chef Kramer's list. The describing word "tart" was a new vocabulary word they all understood after eating this. 

9 comments:

Meredith said...

I love this! We are making butter and cornbread tomorrow so I think I have to add cranberry sauce now too. That would be such fun to watch the cranberries sizzle and pop! I have an electric skillet that I keep at school just for cooking projects-so I have made a lot of crazy things in it-but never cranberry sauce!
Keen on Kindergarten

Fran Kramer said...

We made butter with our fifth grade mentors and spread it on tortillas. The kids loved it so much.

Laura said...

We do this every year and the kids get to try it on saltines. I have made it at home, too, and everyone loves it (but my hubby loves the canned kind, too). Have a great Thanksgiving!

Tessa said...

So call me silly, but what are the ingredients? (besides cranberries, that is.) Did you add anything else to the cranberries as you cooked them? Love this idea and will have to do it next week! Oooh, Next week is tomorrow! Gotta get a move on!
Tessa
Spotlight on Kindergarten

Emily Carnes said...

Okay, this is too cute!! But, I may have a silly question--how exactly did you make it??

Fran Kramer said...

the directions are right on the bag and it is so simple. Basically it is a cup of water and a cup of sugar which you heat together until the sugar dissolves. Add the cranberries and let them boil. Lower the heat and let them cook for about 20 minutes. So easy!
Fran

Kreative in Kinder said...

What a fun idea! I think I will try this with our holiday unit in December. Thanks Fran!!
<>< Crystal
Kreative in Kinder

Meredith said...

Update: This was a hit today! Almost every kid was on the "yes" side of our graph and liked the cranberry sauce. We even did a bubble map like yours and each kid "inspected" a cranberry-don't think any of them had ever seen one before! Wish I'd remembered to bring my camera to school. Thanks again for the fun idea!
Keen on Kindergarten

Fran Kramer said...

I am so glad your kids likes this activity. Most kids have not had cranberry sauce so it's a great opportunity to introduce them to a new food.